Entrepreneurs must possess three essential skills to achieve the level of success that they deserve:
- business communication
In order for an entrepreneur to find, familiarize himself and deal with his target market and convince them to patronize his company’s products and services, good communication makes these things happen. Hence, it stays at top rank based on importance.
However, to be able to reach out to a wider audience whether nationwide or on a global perspective, communicating effectively using the vernacular or so-so English will never be enough. An above-average to excellent level in English fluency of an entrepreneur guarantees greater chances of making it big in his industry of preference, regardless if he’s just starting out or already with an existing enterprise.
- The right amount of confidence
- A positive image
- Cultural knowledge, especially when dealing with foreigners or doing business in a foreign country
- The power of independent thought
If English is an entrepreneur’s second language, some of the struggles or issues he will face in terms of communication skills are the uncertainty if his every message is clear to his clients, problems in pronunciation, grammar and accent, and difficulty in maintaining eye contact and displaying appropriate body language.
It is highly recommended to choose the right business English course based on rates, scope and schedule, or the right learning material that focuses on what real English is all about — the type that native English speakers can easily comprehend. In time, proper education in the English language would result to improved proficiency in:
- managing business calls over the phone
- taking the lead or participating in meetings
- customer service
- market and product research
- making convincing business presentations
- product or service presentation
- constructing and writing a business plan
- dealing with case studies
- writing CVs, business letters, reports, summaries and e-mails
- write promotional literature (brochure, leaflet, flyer etc.)